Tuesday, February 25, 2014

a rocky start

I'm a couple days late on this one - but Sunday Mark and I joined the Chicago Athletic Club Tri Club.  Easily the best decision, because we are only two training sessions in and I can already feel the camaraderie and push from the group.  Especially being in a group with veterans (the instructor today had completed 15 tris in only about 7 years!) and newcomers alike.  I know it's only been two days - but if you're considering doing something like this, it really is the way to go and I am sure that come August I will still be saying the same thing.

Now - the training sessions...

Monday, the first day, was swim, and I just know this will be the Achilles' Heel.  While I can float, I cannot swim properly, and have learned I have the smallest lung capacity imaginable.  So needless to say that did not go so well, especially when you are in a pool full of people who are literally swimming laps around you.  

The absolute worst feeling is being told to swim laps, when you haven't ever swam a complete lap in your life.  Let alone not even sure of what proper form is.  But I did my best - and I know eventually I will get it.  Once I figure out how to breathe and not feel like I am in a constant state of gasping for air, and build up some lung capacity....

Today's session was just some spinning and then a run.  Not too difficult, but I did have some serious jelly legs afterwards.  


PS - Despite how hard it is to get up at 5am and work out before work - I would suggest it to anyone.  You just feel so great the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment