Wednesday, August 13, 2014

ain't no thing

Well it has certainly been awhile since my last post, as Mark keeps reminding me.  It’s not that I haven’t been thinking about the blog, it’s just that I have been thinking about different things for the blog in lieu of writing posts.  Over the past several months I have truly enjoyed blogging for the few of you that read it, and once the triathlon (actually half marathon and really after the wedding) is over I’m looking forward to taking the blog in a different direction (and hopefully gaining a few more followers in the process!) – but more to come on that later.

In terms of training, it continues (to go on and on and on and on…I swear this triathlon is never going to get here!).  I haven’t done as much in the lake as I’ve wanted and am always full of excuses – waves are too high, just not feeling it once I get in, my goggles suck – things like that.  On mornings when Mark and I decide to go to the lake after work I just feel a sense of anxiousness all day wanting to get what is coming after work over with.  As a result I’d much rather swim in the morning, but with the designated swim spot being decently far away and not all that easy to get to it is just not possible (unless we’d want to be in the water at 5am so we’d still have enough time to get back home in time to get ready and make it to work on time, so no thank you there).

Last Thursday was one of those days where we had planned to go swim after work.  At about 4pm I get a text from Mark that he was going to have to stay at work longer so I was on my own.  Given there is always someone else swimming I thought I’d go anyway because I really wanted to do the 750M loop so I would be more confident in the water to get the mile down (which I plan to swim either this week or next Tuesday at the final open water swim clinic of the season).   I’d also just received some new goggles in the mail and wanted to test those out in the water.  My eyes are too close together or something, because I have serious goggle issues.  One eye seals perfect and the other one is a flood every time.  It’s incredibly annoying.  This is my third pair of goggles, so hopefully these work.  Third time is a charm, right?


Unfortunately, I did not get to try out my new goggles last Thursday.  I went to change into my swimsuit after work before heading to the lake and what-do-you-know (?), I forgot it at home.  All that anxiety for nothing!  As frustrated as I was, I decided I wasn’t going to waste the day and opted for a run once I got home instead.  Mark was going to run too, but knowing I wanted to go farther than he would I went out on my own.  I don’t know when I decided I was going to just go for it, but somewhere along the way I thought I might do eight miles – and I did!  It was incredible feeling to know that I could run that far without even stopping once (well maybe at a stoplight, but that doesn’t really count). 

The strangest thing was that it wasn’t even that challenging to me.  The first couple miles were rough, but once I found a rhythm it was pretty easy to keep going – although I was happy to be finished!  It especially got easier once I crossed that four mile mark and could turn around and head for home. 


I must say, though, that my legs (and arms, even!) were a bit sore on Friday; but a good kind of sore at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment