Saturday, June 7, 2014

so many smoothies

Bonus post!

What is this, you ask? Two posts in one day?  Well, I just have so much to say and I didn't want to write it all in just one post - that'd be madness. 

For those of you that know, I finally caved and bought a Vitamix earlier this year, after visiting Gerrard (Felton) and Felton over 4th of July a year ago and being super jealous of theirs.  I'd say it was a successful purchase.  I don't really use it on the weekends, but I cannot remember the last time I have not had a smoothie for breakfast during the week (and Mark too, always make it a double).  I use that thing every single day, and everyday it works like champ, blending through whatever frozen concoction I am whipping up.  

I love it, because I start my day with all the servings of fruits you need in a day, and at least one of veggies.  So whether I follow the food pyramid or not on any given day, at least I know I have something good in me.  Things I like to blend on the regular are bananas, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, mangoes, oranges, grapes, pineapple, avocado, spinach, kale, chia seeds, flaxseeds, and on and on.  I usually just throw some fruit/greens in with some milk (dairy, almond, or coconut, whatever we have) and blend it up - and it is great, every time.

So now we go through a lot of fruit, but that is alright with me.  I just get whatever is on sale and that's what we have until it runs out.  Speaking of which - Aldi is having a crazy fruit sale right now (at least up here)!  I went Friday and got a haul - four lbs of strawberries, two pints of blueberries, four lbs of grapes, four nectarines, and six peaches for $15 dollars.  If you try to do that at TJ's, I think that would be the cost of the strawberries!  Here's my haul (minus the strawberries).




I spent a chunk of my afternoon getting this stuff ready for the freezer.  I freeze all the fruit, except bananas, and use it in my smoothies - when the fruit is frozen, you don't have to add any ice and get more nutrient density in your drink (says me, not sure a professional dietitian says that...but I think it has to be true!).

Here's what four lbs of strawberries looks like all ready to go...



And here's the finished product, freezer ready: 



I kept out one lb each of the green and red grapes just for eating, and couldn't cut up the peaches/nectarines yet because they're ripening up in a brown bag in the window.  Once those are ready I'll cut 'em up too.

I'm telling ya, you should jump on the smoothie train if you're not on it yet...it is a worthwhile investment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment