Saturday, June 7, 2014

what a week!

Well the title says it all - what a week!  This week I started out sore from previous weekend workouts, had a great Tuesday swim, said my goodbyes Wednesday night, last day at Groupon Thursday (and grill arrived!), first Friday night grill-out of the season, and then a killer Saturday morning workout today.  What a week!

Let's start with the beginning.  As you all know, I was SUPER sore to start the week, so Monday morning we definitely did not get up early to go work out...and we didn't do anything Monday at all.  

Then Tuesday we were going to get up, but naturally I set my alarm for the wrong time, so a Tuesday morning bike ride turned into a Tuesday night swim.  Which in the end is ok with me, because I just can't get in enough swim time.

Wednesday Mark made it to training for what everyone says was one intense interval training run.  I, on the other hand, went to Motel Bar (for hopefully the last time...one of those places I have just been to too many times) to say my goodbyes to the great people of Groupon.

Thursday was my last day at work, a bittersweet ending to say the least.  But I am so excited to start a new job on Monday and hopefully enjoy what I do AND have a more regular schedule in the process.  Don't ask me for investment advice yet, though.  When I arrived home, our grill had finally been delivered (after Mark yelling at UPS to deliver the darn thing - we had signed TWO of the slips that they leave for you, and they still wouldn't leave it!).  My workout for the day was helping Mark carry it up the stairs.  It was miserable.  Then we had to put it together - but isn't she beautiful?




The last time we had a grill was when we lived in Columbia (MO, not IL), and I think it was about half this size, that thing has four burners and a side burner.  It's no wonder it was so darn heavy.  All the more friends we can have over now :)

Anyway - Friday came and it was so nice to have the day off without a worry in the world.  I went to the spa in the morning, met Mark for lunch, and then....tried on my wedding dress!!! It came in already (yay!) and almost fits - needs some work in the waist/hips area, but otherwise...bring on October 11.  Then Friday night we had some people over.  Thanks to Kelsey, Tom, and Kelly for the pretty flowers, color coordinated and everything, and they look so nice on our kitchen table.




I'm sure at this point you are wondering...isn't this a blog about athletic feats of awesomeness, why so much about your week?  Well - here comes the athletic feats of awesomeness part...but I had a good week and wanted to share first.

Anywho - last night at our gathering of friends, it wasn't crazy but we all had some adult beverages.  I made some margs in the ol' ('ol?, whichever is the most grammatically correct, you choose) Vitamix (basically the healthiest margs you could have - an orange, a lime, a lemon, sugar, ice, and tequila of course), and that was my drink of choice all night.  I only had two glasses, which made me more tired than drunk, but probably not at 100% for training this morning.  And oh what a training it was!

The usual coaches were all out of town this weekend, so we had a sub.  And it was a rough one (I say rough, but I feel so much better having made it through this workout - nice to see what I can actually do).  Thanks to my handy Suunto workout watch that counts pool meters, impeccably accurate I must say, I swam 1300 meters this morning.  Easily the most I have ever swam in my life at once.  It went like this - about 5 minutes of warm up, 500 meters not stopping, short break, 300 meters faster not stopping, short break, 100 meters faser, some drills, and then 6 laps to finish.  While I had to stop briefly during the 500 meters once, I didn't stop the rest of the times, and considering I could not swim other than doggy paddle at the end of February, I'd say this is progress.  Oh, and then I ran 3.1 miles right after.  Oh, and we had biked to the gym, so had to bike home.  Good stuff.

So I thought I was tired to start the week, but I am finishing it spent.  My legs are like jelly.  But I like it that way.  Also - we have our first tri coming up in just three weeks.  It's a sprint so it's a little shorter, but the swim is still 750M.  Today's practice showed me that I can do that, and then some..even if it is a little slow.  It also told me that I have a long way to go before the olympic distance one we are doing in the end of August.  But that is still a couple months away, and I'm confident I can get there.

Until next time...I'm going to go eat everything in my fridge now.

No comments:

Post a Comment