Monday, June 9, 2014

three weeks to go for triathlon test ride

We are down to crunch time.  Not exactly crunch time, but yesterday marked three weeks to triathlon number uno - the ITU sprint distance (750M swim, 20k bike, 5k run).  So naturally to ring in the three week mark, Mark and I decided to do a double today - get up and run this morning and then swim this evening.  We scored 50% for today (and caught a couple extra zzzz's in the process).  One of these days we will be good about getting up early again...maybe if it ever gets warm out!

Back to the three week mark - I am ready, I think...I hope.  I am confident in my ability to complete the bike and the run, as I know I've gone that far or further before (either in the gym or in the great outdoors).  The swim I am still iffy on.  

Reading up on triathlons and actual athletes - it seems like the swim has the most questions of ability.  Following this Saturday's swim, I am definitely more confident in my ability to complete the swim, but I know it is going to be rough (oh, and then in August I get to double it for the full triathlon).  Not to mention the projected water temperature in Lake Michigan in three weeks.  We have had less than a handful of days up here that have actually been warm, and it's not been overly sunny as well.  So...good thing I'll have a wetsuit to keep me afloat!  I am hoping that swimming a long distance in the elements is similar to riding a bike versus a spin class and going for a run versus running on a treadmill - you always seem to do better not in the gym.

While I'm taking this sprint distance as more of a warm up and gauge of progress for the main event in August, I do still want to do well.  But, I mostly want to get a feel for the transitions and what it feels like going through the switch from swim to bike to run.  But I would be lying if I said I wouldn't give it my all.  Plus, I have to beat Mark :)


No comments:

Post a Comment